Here are the final details.
- Saturday, October 20, 2018, 12:30-5:30
- WGBH Studios, One Guest Street, Brighton, MA
The party will start around 12:30 p.m. (after lunch) and end by 5:30. Light refreshments will be provided in the afternoon.
Current and past staff and volunteers are all welcome!
October 16: 4 Days to the reunion
Here’s the final update before the 2018 reunion!
- IMPORTANT: This is the Head of the Charles Regatta weekend. If you’re coming from out of town, or even across town, avoid Memorial Drive and Sorrow Drive due to road closures and traffic congestion. If you need to cross over, try Watertown/Newton or further west. More details here.
- We decided to make one last update to the guest list so that those who registered after October 1 know we’ve added them to the check-in list at the door. We’ve also created a list of the regrets we’ve received. We’ll miss you.
- Bring business cards. Bring more than you think you need. Bring cash for drinks: $5 per wine or beer.
- Charge your cameras and make room for new photos!
- If you can’t be there in person, join us for a live stream from 1:20-2:30 on Facebook Live.
October 9: Less than 2 weeks to the reunion
- We’ve updated the guest lists to October 9. This is the final version. If you responded after October 1, we’ll have your name at the welcome desk, but you won’t have a printed name badge.
October 4: About 2 weeks to the reunion
- We’ve updated the guest lists to October 1 and submitted our final numbers for food and beverages.
- If you’re still seeking lodging, John Rogers notes there are still rooms at “Quality Inn in Middleboro.”
- Note: We’ve added a list of optional activities, including the just-announced premiere of an archival video installation, produced in collaboration with Olin College.
- We’ll be dependent on your for photography. (See photos from the last reunion.) Charge your phones and make sure you have space to take lots of pictures of your colleagues. After the reunion, send an email to Jay Collier to let him know you have photos available.
- Tickets for the beer and wine cash bar will be $5 (no credit cards), so bring cash.
- Be sure to sign up to receive comments on Fridays or come back here for updates.
- The current guest list is here. If you haven’t already submitted your RSVP — even if you said you were attending on the Facebook event — please do so on this form by October 1. We need to have a good attendance list for security.
- If you have already sent your RSVP but cannot attend, please check the guest list to verify, and then send an update to jay (dot) collier (at) thecompass (dot) com by October 1.
September 23: It’s less than 4 weeks to the reunion! Read on …
Spread the Word
Please check in with your ‘GBH co-workers and colleagues (current and former) to make sure they know about the reunion. Check the guest list. Is there someone you know who hasn’t responded? If so, please send them a link to this page and this link to sign up for email updates.
- Guestbook – in alphabetical order
- Guestbook – in chronological order (you’ll find the most recent RSVPs at the bottom)
- Due to the Head of the Charles Regatta the same weekend, nearby lodging is expensive and difficult to find. If you are coming from out of town, get reservations as soon as you can.
Directions and Parking
- Written directions are on the WGBH website here. You can also get directions via Google Maps.
- Directions to the Visitor’s Parking Lot are at the bottom of the same page. The lot will be open all day and will not need any access information. Signs will be in front.
- We are working with WGBH Director of Social Media, Tory Starr, and the technical crew to stream the event live on Facebook from 1:15 to 2:30. More details here are plans are finalized. (Note: the stream will be public, so everyone can see comments.)
- 12:30 – 1:20 p.m. Gathering – Front desk and Atrium
- 1:30 – 2:00 p.m. – Welcome – Theater
- 2:00 – 5:30 p.m – Socializing – Atrium
- Optional afternoon activities
- Social media insights
- Virtual & Augmented Reality demo
- Story Booth
- Station Tours
- 5:30 – Goodbyes! Until next time …
Optional activities: Bring a friend
- 2:00 – 2:25 p.m. – Digital and Social Media Insights – Theater. WGBH productions now have to think about audiences on their websites and social media fans, in addition to their broadcast audiences. How are we storytelling on these new platforms? In this special session, you can learn how WGBH is reaching new, younger, and more diverse audiences through digital and social media efforts.
- 2:00 – 5:30 p.m – Virtual & Augmented Reality. Fraser Performance Studio – VR and AR are transforming the ways WGBH presents content, especially at Frontline and NOVA. Come try it out yourself! Gear will be available for 15-minute demos for up to 20 participants throughout the afternoon.
- 2:30 – 4:30 p.m – Story Booth. Fraser Performance Studio – We would love to hear your anecdotes about your years at WGBH. Please come to the Story Booth and record it on audio or video – and help us create memories for posterity! Remember what you say may be public!
- 2:30 – 4:30 p.m – Station Tours. Would you like to see the production facilities where many WGBH radio and television programs are produced and finished? Join us for a station tour.
- 2:30 – 4:30 p.m – JUST ANNOUNCED: Explore Vintage TV on Vintage Sets. Atrium – WGBH in collaboration with Olin College has created a interactive archives media installation to exhibit historic WGBH programming. See a portable, low-power, multi-channel television installation, authentically delivering the original tactile appeal of analog televisions.
Before and after the reunion
For those who would like to make plans to get together for food before or after the reunion, here are several options:
- Rail Stop (full service restaurant)
- Stockyard (full service restaurant)
- Flatbreads (pizza & bowling)
- KoHI (coffee pastry shop)
- Please read our previous updates and reminiscences to get up to speed.
- If you weren’t at the 2015 reunion, take a look at the wonderful photos from the event.
- Our special thanks to WGBH management for their support and for hosting and subsidizing the reunion at the station!
Reunion planning team
Fred Barzyk (1958–forever), Michael Ambrosino (1956–76), David Atwood (1965–80, contractor to 2005), Jay Collier (1979–86), Anne Damon (1973-2009), Sue DeMarco (1979–97), Kathryn Dietz (1976-1985), Christine Lear (1994-2003), Ros Minassian (1984–98), Sheila Simollardes (1965-72), Olivia Tappan (1960s-94).
For WGBH: Jon Abbott, Henry Becton, Eric Taub. With assistance from many others, including: Ana Aceves, Carla Borras, Sandy Chin, Julia Cort, Casey Davis Kaufman, Margaret Heffernan, Annie Husted, Alison Kennedy, Heidi Lewis, Bill Miller, and Tory Starr